Saturday, January 6, 2007

Handy Tips for Financial Planning

This one is from Deborah Fowles, Guide to Financial Planning in About. Very elementary but I doubt how many people are scoring more than 6/10. Here it goes, the top ten:

1. Get Paid What You're Worth and Spend Less Than You Earn : Hey, I get less than what I deserve and so do you!! And I've not done any budgeting so that I may be sure of the second part.

2. Stick to a Budget : I'm ashamed, no budgeting exercise for myself, not to speak of sticking to one.

3. Pay Off Credit Card Debt: Thank God, I finally get a score on this one. I've managed to stay clear though I've had to suffer with the agonising interest calculations earlier.

4. Contribute to a Retirement Plan: I do have a pension plan but I've never cared to figure out whether it is sufficient! Will give 1/2 for that one to me.

5. Have a Savings Plan: Yeah ,I'll be partial to myself and give some score here too! I do save about 15% of my income though it's a recent phenomena. Better late than never!

6. Invest! : Pretty straight forward. But few people manage to find an hour for that in a week. They'll rather watch TV(Big Boss is on these days!)

7. Maximize Your Employment Benefits : A meeting with your HR guy!! Brace yourself. I have no hope with my guys.

8. Review Your Insurance Coverages: Putting a finger on that is important from the family point of view. Those of you without that responsibility can breathe easy on that count. But I get full marks here!

9. Update Your Will: Never thought about that uptill now. Bless Ms Fowles.

10. Keep Good Records: I will, as part of my New Year resolutions. But I've yet to get started on that. Next Monday, I promise.

Phew!, I score about 4/10!! So much potential to improve, and I'm only 39. Hehehehehe.....

1 comment:

Prashant said...

You are a good guy.
I am subscribing your feed.

:) Prashant