Friday, February 23, 2007

Blogging with Focus and Attitude

As soon as I became a blogger, a TOI journo talked about bloggers as failed writers, half wits and generally slammed bloggers right and left. But then I met (virtually, ofcourse) bloggers like Amit Agarwal, Amit Varma, Gautam Ghosh, Rashmi Bansal, Amit Ranjan and I started looking up to them and wanted to be like them in my own way. Other than the above bloggers who provide focussed insights, there are bloggers like Sakshi, Melody, IdeaSmith, who sparkle with their amazing attitude

Amit Varma does not deny that the image of hanging a journalist upside down just above a vat of boiling oil gives him great glee!. Read his full take here

Penelope Trunk's take on blogging makes a lot of sense. He (Update: oops...... She) talks about blogging as a great training and also a tool to network.

But of course I'm talking about blogs with some focus and a certain attitude and not all and sundry. And I am not talking about blogs where they try to pontificate over national issues and also talk about their dogs having fever!

As for me I'm in the learning phase. I am ashamed of some of my posts which have been a CCP job. In my enthusiasm to make people read whatever I had written, I have also spammed (Very few guys, I promise,....will not repeat,err..I'm not promising anything here!)Have been fiddling with the title, template of my blog and have learnt many new things in the area of my blog focus.

7 comments:

Gautam Ghosh said...

thanks Ranjan for putting me in such high company. You are very kind :-)

The Amits and Rashmi are people I look up to. Can't think of myself in that bracket :-))

Unknown said...

Gautam, u're being modest. Btw, Rashmi likens u to a filmstar inaugrating things (reference her jobokplease project being talked by you first)

Salman Siddiqui said...

You have been great till now Ranjan sir...

I agree that sometimes to make your readers read what you think is good we went on to do CCP publishing, but I have been trying well to keep out of that, and sometimes publishing speed slows down due to that. I have been in touch to your blog. You write really well.

And hey you know I gave you a permanent reader few days back. Now he reads your blog daily, my dad. He is also kind of too much interested in market kinda stuff.

I see him many times reading your posts.

Keep up the good work!

Unknown said...

Shukriya Salman.

Anonymous said...

:) I guess this explains the question you asked me recently!

Thanks for what you said about me! And like Gautam said, it's said, it's good company - Saks & IdeaSmith have become great friends of mine offline too :)

Gautam Ghosh said...

heh. Rashmi was pulling my virtual leg ;-)

Unknown said...

Hi, Ranjan.

I think the best bloggers all have posts they wish they hadn't written, because the best bloggers are taking risks. It's a fine line to stay focused while still writing about things that really matter matter to you -- without writing about your dog's health, as you say.

-Penelope