Ramit is a graduate of Stanford, where he studied technology and psychology. He's the co-founder & VP of Marketing for PBwiki, a wiki startup in Silicon Valley.
We chatted up on many things included the ghee filled wedding food, bargaining/negotiation skills of Indians and how even poor people are happier here compared to USA and the Dharavi tour. I suggested him to take a local train ride to understand the spirit of Mumbai!!
I also got a lot of insights on how to be a better blogger and I want to share some of those.
- Understand your reader: Have we ever thought of or tried to find out what kind of readers are coming to our blog. We need to know the audience. Some kind of research/ poll should tell us about the visitors to our blog.
- Write with that reader in mind: Writing for a techie or college grad would be different from writing for a guy who already has 4-5 years of work experience.
- Have a tag line that people can identify you with: There should be a small but distinct description of what you write or who you are. It's like describing a brand that you are or want to become.
- Focus on content and telling stories: The best way to talk about personal finance is to tell stories and how it is related to other interesting things like food, losing weight , etc.
- Find out where you want to see your blog in 3-5 years.